Skip to content

Sponsored Parent Temporary Visa

Sponsored Parent Temporary Visa

Migration Agent Melbourne · Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa · 870 · To Legal with 20+ years of experience helping families reunite.

Are you looking to bring your parents over to Australia? There are a few options, such as the Sponsored Parent Temporary visa, which is an alternative to the Parent visa and the Contributory Parent visa.

You may have considered the Parent visa option, but do not meet the Balance of Family test.

Alternatively, you may have actually satisfied the Balance of Family test and have lodged the Contributory Parent visa however the standard processing time is about seven years and you cannot wait that long to see your parents.

The Sponsored Parent Temporary visa could solve these issues.

This visa allows your parents to stay in Australia continuously on a temporary basis while waiting for the Contributory Parent visa to be processed. It also allows your parents to stay in Australia for a longer period, if the Balance of Family test cannot be satisfied.

This temporary visa has two options:

  • 3 years – $5,355
  • 5 years – $10,575

This temporary visa does not lead to Australian permanent residence and you cannot extend the visa.

However, if your visa is about to end and you leave Australia for 90 days or more, you can re-apply for the visa and come back to Australia but note the total maximum period is 10 years.

At a quick glance, this temporary visa is quite expensive.

However, upon reflection, if your parents come to Australia and visit you then leave Australia and then return again, the total costs of the visa charges would be comparable or less than the total costs of all international travels from your parents.

For those adult children with their own children, having grandparents in Australia will also save substantial costs in childcare and babysitting fees. However, more importantly, it allows the parents to spend time with their grandchildren.

Basic Eligibility

Firstly, the sponsor must be:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident and usually resident in Australia for at least 4 years
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen and usually resident in Australia for at least 4 years

Secondly, the sponsor must be at least 18 years old and be the child of the parent or the partner of the child of the parent.

Thirdly, the sponsor must pass the income test, namely:

  • the sponsor’s most recently completed tax return must show a taxable income of at least $AUD 83,454.80
  • the sponsor’s taxable income can be combined with a partner or another child of the parent and must show a combined taxable income of at least $AUD 83,454.80. If combining incomes, the sponsor’s table income must be at least 50% of $AUD 83,454.80.

Fourthly, the parents must:

  • intend to stay in Australia temporarily for the three or five year period
  • have, or have access to, enough money to support themselves while in Australia.

Contact Migration Agent Melbourne and we will assist you to reunite you with your parents.

Sponsored Parent Temporary Visa

Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (870)
Sponsorship charge
Base application charge – 3 years option
Base application charge – 5 years option